Pages

Saturday, December 31, 2011

1

It's just one of those days where you know it's going to be a good day, you can feel it in the air.  It's so nice to be able to wake up and just lay in bed for a moment, thinking about life before I have to get up and actually live it. No work today, and no school, that means I basically don't have to do anything today.

It sounded like John woke up before me, the TV is was at least, just playing static at first now, he was probably just waiting for the local morning news, I'll never understand how he gets up so early.  John is on of those kinds of people who always knows what's going on, which makes him a great person to know, he always pays attention to what's going on and if you ever need to know something he usually can tell you the answer.  The man was lucky enough to get a job almost right out of college working as a writer for the local newspaper, it looks like all of his work with that Journalism major is paying off.  I, on the other hand, am going for a masters, as an internship at an architecture firm just doesn't pay the bills, hopefully by the time I earn my new degree I'll have proven to the company that I'm valuable enough to do more than just grab everyone coffee and doughnuts and just watch everyone else work.  Sounds like the news is on now, I guess I'll get up and make some breakfast.

John was of course ready with the condensed version of the daily news.  "Hey did you hear some kid went missing a couple days ago?  The family is really worried." He said this as though they just announced the Lindbergh baby went missing, John is of the belief that any news is big news.
"You know I never hear anything before you do, besides, you clearly heard it on the news just a few minutes ago," I motioned at the screen while it displayed a commercial advertising a dental practice, "What makes you think I could have possibly heard about something that was announced mere moments ago?  What's so exciting about this anyways?" This earned me a harsh glare, so I quickly explained my meaning, "I mean it's a tragedy and all, and I hope they find the kid, but this isn't really that surprising, is it?  People go missing all the time, it's not like we live in a small town where everybody knows each other's name, shit happens." I started to get out the stuff to make pancakes.
"That doesn't mean that it isn't something that people need to know, this is the third disappearance in the last two months, surely that's not a coincidence."  John still sounded a bit mad at my disinterest in the kid, but he's wasn't glaring anymore.
"Why not?" I asked, "Stranger things have happened, besides three in two months isn't that big of an issue.  I swear, if I go in your room and find a conspiracy board set up because of this I will have you tossed in the loony bin."  I said it jokingly, but I really wouldn't be surprised to find such a thing in John's room, he was just the kind of person who start seeing connections that everyone else missed.  The scary thing about it is that he would probably be right.  "What kind of syrup do you want?"
John sighed and resigned himself to the fact that I will never be as interesting as the news, which, incidentally, had come back on and captured the majority of his attention. "Buttermilk, I guess."

After the news was finished John and I sat down to breakfast.  In the spirit of not being completely ignorant I asked him to finish his cliff-notes version of the news for me.  "So what was that kids name, anyways?"
"Tommy Allard, he was 12 years old.  Apparently the last time his parents saw  he was going to go play at the Sondermann Park."
I looked up quickly, "I was going to take Kim there this afternoon,"
"Well the police already searched the area, they couldn't find the kid, or any evidence, so they decided not to restrict traffic there,just keep your eyes open if you go, you can't be too safe."
"So what else is new?"
"You remember that body they found burned beyond recognition a month or so back on Captain Jack's Trail Head?  The police finally identified him as some sort of drifter who had racked up numerous small crimes around the country, most theft related.  They still don't know how he got burned like that, though, but as it turns out, no one cares when you're homeless thief."  John didn't sound particularly angry about that, just sort of depressed, but resigned to the fact.  "I'll tell you the rest later, I've got to get to work."
"Sounds good, I'll see you later."

After John left I relaxed for a little bit watched some TV, and got online for a little bit.  After it was late enough that I knew I wouldn't be waking her I called Kim.  "I was wondering if you were still wanting to go to the park this afternoon."
"Of course I still want to go to the park, why wouldn't I?"  Kim loves the outdoors, and as a result some of our best dates have just been us walking around a park or nature trail.
"I heard a kid went pissing up in that area, I wasn't sure if you knew."
"Don't worry," you could hear the smile in her voice "I'll protect you if anything happens."
I laughed, knowing that in a way, it was true.  Kim was strong willed, quick on her feet, and brave, why she's dating me I'll never know.  "Well then I'll have to take you out to lunch first, I'll pick you up in a hour."
"Sounds great, I'll see you then."